Fire marshal says generator indoors caused carbon monoxide deathBy SHAWNE K. WICKHAM
New Hampshire Sunday News
July 20. 2017 9:37PM
LITCHFIELD — Authorities say a Litchfield man who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at his home last week had hooked up a generator in his basement to provide electricity after the power was shut off.
The state fire marshal’s office said Thursday the portable gasoline-powered generator was the source of the carbon monoxide that killed 40-year-old Jamie Badeau.
First responders from the Litchfield police and fire departments had been asked to check on the residents of 22 Moose Hollow Road on July 12 around 6 p.m.
They found Badeau dead, but in an upstairs bedroom rescuers found a woman who was still alive but unconscious. The woman, whose identity and condition still has not been released by authorities, was rushed to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center in Nashua.
High levels of carbon monoxide were found in the home, according to investigators.
Shana Clark, a fire investigator with that office, said most people associate carbon monoxide with car exhaust, which has an obvious odor. “But the gas itself that will kill you does not have a smell,” she said. “It doesn’t have a taste. It does not have any way that we as human beings can identify it.”
J. William Degnan, state fire marshal, said gas-powered equipment should never be used inside a structure and should always be used in a well-ventilated area at least 10 feet from any structure.
Litchfield property records list the owners of the Moose Hollow Road home, which is valued at $549,300, as Jamie Badeau and Elisha Talasazan.
Court records show that Elisha Badeau filed for divorce from Jamie Badeau in 2015 in the 9th Circuit Court’s Family Division in Merrimack. It was granted the following year.
Badeau’s obituary recalled him as “a kind-hearted, funny guy with a larger than life personality.” It said he was the owner of Badeau Carpentry and had built many houses over the years, “including his own.”
Badeau, it said, had a love for animals, “especially his four dogs.”
Friends of Badeau’s ex-wife have posted condolence messages on social media, where the day after he was found dead, she posted a photo of a smiling, tuxedo-clad Badeau from their 2008 wedding in the Bahamas.
In 2009, Badeau had posted this next to a photo of his bride: “It can’t get much better than this. Wow I really must be one of the luckyist guys. Who could ask for anything better....I love you Elisha.”
email@example.com; Union Leader staff writer Doug Alden contributed to this report.