All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

No one hurt as fire breaks out in fully occupied SNHU dorm


November 18. 2017 9:28PM
Firefighters work on a two-alarm fire at Greeley Hall, a residence building on the Southern New Hampshire University on Saturday night. (Jeffrey Hastings)

MANCHESTER -- No one was hurt, but officials estimated a two-alarm fire caused approximately $500,000 in damage to a three-story, 12-unit dormitory on the Southern New Hampshire University campus Saturday night.

According to a press release, fire crews had to "chase" the fire through Greeley Hall at 2500 River Road, as the blaze traveled through "void space between each floor."

Fire officials said a second alarm was struck to bring in more manpower.

"This fire was extremely labor intensive due to the size and construction of the building," District Fire Chief Hank Martineau said in a press release."Firefighters were forced to chase the fire throughout the northern half of the dormitory."

According to Martineau, six of the 12 units sustained heavy fire, smoke and water damage.

The press release had no word on a cause of the fire.

The building is in a complex of residence halls on the northwestern end of the campus nearest the Merrimack River.

Fire officials said the residence was fully occupied at the time of the fire, but everyone was fully accounted for and safely evacuated.

First responders said the fire had started between floors of the building. They poked a hole into the roof of the structure to try and keep the blaze between those two floors, officials said.

Hooksett fire officials also helped at the scene.


Fires University Manchester


More Headlines

Aggregation