All Sections

Home | Public Safety

Hanover St. rooming house burns, firefighter injured

New Hampshire Union Leader

December 07. 2017 1:41PM
Firefighters get pushed back Thursday while battling a blaze at Hanover and Maple streets. (David Lane/Union Leader)

MANCHESTER – A major fire that drew 100 firefighters and hundreds of onlookers swept through a Hanover Street rooming house Thursday morning, leaving a firefighter injured.

Police and firefighters helped evacuate residents from the building at 324 Hanover St. while facing "extreme fire conditions," said Fire Chief Dan Goonan.

"We think we've got everybody out," the chief said before noon, while firefighters were still fighting flare-ups nearly two hours after the blaze was reported at 9:55 a.m.

The three-alarm fire spread smoke across blocks of downtown.

Witness John Gordon said he saw a "huge ball of fire", come from part of the two-and three-story building on the corner of Maple Street.

Goonan estimated the building contained about 16 units, but didn't have an immediate count on how many people lived there.

Resident Greg Beaulieu was asleep when someone who occasionally stays in the building knocked on his door.

"Probably be dead otherwise," he said.

Beaulieu was to finish moving out of the building Thursday and lost his TV and some furniture to the fire.

"It's only materialistic things," he said. "You can't get back lives."

A firefighter sustained a burn to his wrist and hand. No residents were reported injured and a cause has yet to be determined.

Built in 1910, the building is owned by the Charles G. Teas Revocable Trust, according to city records.

City records say the building contains between nine and 30 apartments. with more than 8,300 square feet of total living area. The property is assessed at $546,400.

The Teas Agency, a real estate firm, is listed at that Hanover Street address, according to a Facebook page.

Check back for updates as more information comes available.


More Headlines

Fire ruins home, but cat is rescued