All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Public Safety

Firefighters save Dublin home, cats from chimney fire

By MEGHAN PIERCE
Union Leader Correspondent

December 15. 2017 5:11PM
A chimney fire on Learned Road caused significant roof and wall damage on Thursday. (Brie Morrissey)



A chimney fire on Learned Road caused significant roof and wall damage on Thursday. (Brie Morrissey)

DUBLIN – A chimney fire on Learned Road caused significant roof and wall damage, Dublin Fire Chief Thomas Vanderbilt said Friday.

Brie Morrissey, who lives in the house with her boyfriend Chris Raymond, was home alone when the fire broke out.

“I heard something, felt heat and called 911,” Morrissey said.

Vanderbilt said the 911 call came in about 8:30 p.m. Thursday for a possible chimney fire that had possibly spread into the wall.

“We arrived and it was indeed in the wall partition and into the roof,” Vanderbilt said.

Firefighters battle the blaze in 10 degree weather, but were able to contain the fire and quickly put it.

“But there is substantial damage to the house,” Vanderbilt said.

Firefighters remained on scene for several hours before clearing the scene, he said.

The couple stayed in the house last night, but substantial work to the roof and wall are needed, he said.

Vanderbilt credits Morrissey’s quick action for saving the house. She had a fire plan and she followed it, he said.

“If she hadn’t of been home it would have been a whole other story, the dogs would have been deceased and the roof would have collapsed in on the house,” Vanderbilt said.

Morrissey said after calling 911 she took her two Great Danes -- Echo and Luna -- out to her vehicle and then went back and doused the flames with water and fire extinguishers.

The couple had a third Great Dane, Layla, but she had been put down early in the week.

“It hasn’t been a great week,” Morrissey said.

Morrissey said she is grateful to the firefighters, especially two from Peterborough who rescued two of her cats.

“They were unbelievable and they took such care of me and our house,” she said. “I can’t tell you how great the fire departments were. They saved my cats.”

Raymond built the house in 2008.

Morrissey is unsure what they are going to do next or even whether to remain in the home. “Everything is smokey,” she said.


General News Public Safety Fires Dublin


MOST POPULAR ARTICLES

More Headlines

Manchester police 'chief day' origins murky