All Sections

Home | Crime

Man in care of baby who overdosed on drugs says moldy bread was the culprit

Union Leader Correspondent

March 08. 2018 8:51AM

CHARLES DAYE facing multiple charges (COURTESY)

NASHUA — A toddler has recovered after ingesting cocaine and fentanyl last September at a city apartment, while the man charged with endangering the child is blaming moldy bread.

The 1-year-old boy was found unconscious by his mother on Sept. 1, 2017.

“Upon his arrival at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center, (the baby) was unconscious, not breathing, did not have a pulse and his skin was blue in color,” police detective Caleb Gilbert wrote in an affidavit on file at Hillsborough County Superior Court in Nashua.

Lab results from the child’s urine tested positive for cocaine, benzodiazepines and fentanyl, and blood tests also were positive for fentanyl, according to Dr. Hiu-Fai Fong of Boston Children’s Hospital.

“Dr. Fong stated that during her initiative evaluation of (the boy), his signs and symptoms were indicative of what she classified as an opioid toxicity, or otherwise known as an opioid overdose,” court documents say.

A Hillsborough County Superior Court grand jury recently indicted Charles Daye, the boyfriend of the child’s mother, in connection with the baby’s overdose, which police say could have been fatal if medical help had not been sought.

Daye, 25, previously of 89 Elm St., Nashua, is facing charges of reckless conduct, second-degree assault, falsifying physical evidence, endangering the welfare of a child and possession of cocaine.

Daye was responsible for watching the babyat the time of the drug overdose, according to court records.

The boy’s mother, Emyle Greenleaf, 22, came home from work to check on the two and discovered Daye had been sleeping, court documents say. Greenleaf thought her child was sleeping when she peeked in on him, but when she checked in later she discovered he was unconscious and not breathing, Gilbert wrote in the police affidavit.

Greenleaf splashed water on the baby and she and Daye drove him to the hospital, after which Daye left and returned home.

When police arrived at the apartment, they discovered a ripped plastic bag and vomit on the floor, according to court records. Officers said Daye was lethargic and would nod off in the middle of a discussion.

Police said he did admit that he consumed a Percocet earlier in the day, and had smoked half a marijuana joint.

Still, Daye insisted to police that the baby must have gotten into the trash and eaten moldy bread when the two of them were napping.

A few weeks later he told police that a drug dealer known as “Papi” could have brought drugs into the house.

The baby’s mother denied knowing that Daye uses drugs, telling police that there are no drugs in their apartment, according to court documents.

The baby was discharged from Boston Children’s Hospital four days after his overdose. Daye was arrested on Nov. 29, at which time he allegedly swallowed a bag containing cocaine to hide it from authorities. His bail was initially set at $100,000 cash-only, however a judge reduced his bail to $49,999 cash last week.

Court files indicate that he has a lengthy criminal history with various felony arrests and convictions.

Courts Crime Nashua

More Headlines