All Sections

Home | Crime

Autopsy finds Memorial High student died of single gunshot to the chest

New Hampshire Union Leader
Union Leader Correspondent

November 20. 2017 5:07PM
Ian Jewell, 18, died Sunday after a shooting in Goffstown. (FACEBOOK)

GOFFSTOWN — Manchester high school student Ian Jewell, 18, died of a single gunshot wound to the chest Sunday afternoon, according to authorities who remained tight-lipped about circumstances surrounding the death of the popular Memorial High School senior.

Jewell — an honor student, school athlete and brother of a cancer patient — was shot in the parking lot of the Goffstown Ace Hardware store, 5 Depot. St., in Goffstown.

He died later at a local hospital, according to a statement released by Attorney General Gordon MacDonald and Goffstown police.

Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jennie V. Duval ruled the death a homicide.

His death cast a shadow Monday over Memorial High School, which is located in south Manchester, about 12 miles from the center of Goffstown.

"He was serious when he was playing sports, but other times he was smiling, laughing," said Jebohan Collier, a Memorial student. He and others said it was difficult in school on Monday.

Grief counselors were available, but students and even some teachers were overcome. Jewell made the honors or high honors list in each of his last three years at Memorial, according to Union Leader archives.

The Facebook page of his father, Robert Jewell, includes photographs of Ian and a younger sister, Mia.

Posts show Mia with Red Sox stars such as former designated hitter David Ortiz and second baseman Dustin Pedroia. Others show Mia involved in events connected to the Jimmy Fund, which raises money for cancer research.

In other posts, Robert highlights brain tumor awareness and Mia's MRI results. Memorial students said Mia attends the school.

Massive response

The shooting, which took place about 4:20 p.m., sparked a massive response involving police in Goffstown and surrounding communities. At the height of the search, police closed down Main Street and urged people to stay away from the town center. Police told people in nearby homes and businesses, such as the Village Trestle bar and restaurant, to stay put.

At 5:48 p.m. Sunday, Dunbarton police announced: "Suspect in custody." But on Monday evening, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said nobody is in custody or has been arrested in connection with the shooting.

Dunbarton Police Chief Daniel Sklut said his officers assisted police in neighboring Goffstown and referred all questions to Attorney General Office prosecutors.

A source said a search warrant had been executed at the home of a person suspected in the crime.

On Monday, the town center had pretty much returned to normal. All Main Street retailers were open for business while a New Hampshire State Police crime van and unmarked cruisers parked on Main Street.

Message to parents

In a message to parents, SAU 19 Superintendent Brian Balke said he consulted with various officials before deciding to open school in Goffstown as scheduled.

"We have worked very, very closely with police, with fire, and are working with the Attorney General's Office,"

Balke wrote. "We are on top of the situation and as more information becomes available, we will be able to share that."

At Memorial High School, Principal Arthur Adamakos sent a four-paragraph letter to parents acknowledging the loss of a student but not naming him. Adamakos encouraged parents to keep the student's family in their thoughts.

"A loss like this can be difficult to process, and we encourage you to talk to your children about their feelings, fears and concerns," Adamakos wrote.

General News Manchester

More Headlines