All Sections

Home | Crime

Allenstown barrel killer's true identity revealed

Staff report
August 18. 2017 12:37PM

Police released these photos of Terry Peder Rasmussen, known in New Hampshire as Robert 'Bob' Evans. On the left, Rasmussen's high school photo from 1960. At right, his booking photo from 1985 in New Hampshire. 

Police released this photo of Terry Peder Rasmussen taken in 1969.

The serial killer investigators believe murdered a woman and three girls whose bodies were found in barrels in Allenstown decades ago has been identified, officials said Friday.

Terry Peder Rasmussen, a former Navy man from Colorado, is the killer known in New Hampshire by his alias Robert “Bob” Evans, according to authorities.

The man died in 2010 in a California prison, where he was serving time for the murder of his common-law wife, his true identity unknown.

Jeffery Strelzin, senior assistant attorney general, said a combination of DNA and investigative work proved Rasmussen’s true identity. He said when investigators found earlier photos of the man they had thought of as Evans, they knew for sure.

They put Rasmussen’s high school yearbook photo next to a booking photo taken in 1985 of Evans, after he was arrested in California for DWI using yet another alias.

“I think for all of us, when we saw those two pictures together, we said, ‘That’s our guy,’” Strelzin said.

Investigators learned that Rasmussen had had a wife and four children when he lived out west in his 20s. A paternity test of one of those now-adult children confirmed Rasmussen was the same man who called himself Bob Evans in New Hampshire.

“It all matched up,” Strelzin said.

Earlier this year, authorities had used DNA to prove Evans — really Rasmussen — was the father of one of the young girls whose body was found in Allenstown.

In addition to the four Allenstown victims, Rasmussen is a suspect in the disappearance and likely murder of Denise Beaudin, a 23-year-old Goffstown woman who had been living with “Bob Evans” and her infant daughter in Manchester.

The couple left Manchester in 1981 with the baby, and Beaudin’s family believed they had left to escape financial troubles.

Decades later, they would learn a much darker truth.

Authorities detailed Rasmussen’s early years in a news release:

• Rasmussen was born in 1943 in Denver. His family moved to Phoenix, where he attended Phoenix North High School.

• In 1961, he enlisted in the United States Navy, serving until he was generally discharged in 1967. During his Navy service, Rasmussen was an electrician in a construction unit, was stationed on several western U.S. bases, and spent time overseas in Okinawa.

• After leaving military service, Rasmussen briefly moved to Hawaii, where he was married. He and his wife moved to Arizona in 1969, where Rasmussen’s wife gave birth to twin daughters. They had a son in 1970, and another daughter in 1972.

• Between 1969 and approximately 1973 or 1974, the couple lived in Phoenix and in Redwood City, Calif.

• Rasmussen and his wife briefly separated in October of 1972, but later reconciled.

“At some time between 1973-1974, Rasmussen’s wife left him and took the children with her,” the release stated.

• The last time Rasmussen’s family last saw him was around Christmas of 1974 when he arrived at their Arizona residence unexpectedly to visit the children. Rasmussen was with an unidentified female and said he was living in the Casa Del Rey Apartments in Ingleside, Texas.

“Rasmussen’s former wife and his four children are alive and accounted for,” the release stated.

• Rasmussen first appeared in New Hampshire in 1977 as Bob Evans, and worked at the Waumbec Mill in Manchester as a head electrician. He lived at 925 Hayward St., and did side jobs for a fellow Waumbec worker, an Allenstown man who was building a camp store on his property.

• In 1980, “Evans” got into some minor scrapes with the law, passing a bad check and stealing electricity. At times, he told police he was married to Elizabeth Evans, and an Elizabeth Evans once signed for mail at his address. But police have not been able to discover who Elizabeth Evans is.

Authorities now believe it was during that time that Rasmussen beat to death a young woman and three girls and dumped their bodies in metal barrels, which were found years later on his co-worker’s property in Allenstown.

Two of the victims were dismembered.

DNA showed that one of the three girls, a preschooler, was fathered by Rasmussen.

Evans was arrested in California in 1989 for abandoning a young girl he had claimed was his daughter, who had been living with him at a campground three years earlier. He was released from prison in 1990 and skipped parole, disappearing for 12 years.

DNA testing later proved that child was the daughter of Denise Beaudin, who had disappeared with “Bob Evans” and her infant daughter from Manchester in 1981. And that’s what began the investigative trail that connected Evans to the Allenstown victims.

Over the years, Rasmussen moved throughout the United States and went by several aliases, including Larry Vanner. That’s the name he was using when he was convicted of murdering his common-law wife, Eunsoon Jun, in 2002. He died in prison in 2010.

New Hampshire Crime News Alert

More Headlines