All Sections

Home | Courts

Trial scheduled for man accused of assaulting son over Pop-Tart

By KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader Correspondent

December 11. 2017 11:29PM
JASON TRYTHALL 



NASHUA — A city man accused of assaulting his son after he would not eat his Pop-Tart will be on trial in March.

Jason Trythall, 34, of 21 Mulberry St., Apt. A, is facing two felony counts of second-degree assault in connection with the February incident.

According to court documents, Trythall’s defense team is seeking copies of all testimony provided by Trythall’s 7-year-old son in order to prepare for the upcoming trial.

Judge Amy Ignatius at Hillsborough County Superior Court has approved the agreement between the state and Trythall’s attorney to provide copies of all statements the boy made to authorities.

Trythall, who has been ordered to have no unsupervised contact with his son, is facing up to seven years in prison for each of the alleged offenses, in addition to a $4,000 fine. He is currently free on bail.

Authorities received the assault report on Feb. 25, from the child’s grandmother. The grandmother, who has custody of the boy, said that when she picked him up after a visit with his father on Feb. 25, the boy showed her a bruise on his left arm.

“(He) disclosed that his father did that to him earlier in the day because he would not eat his Pop-Tart,” says a police affidavit on file at the 9th Circuit Court, Nashua District Division.

The grandmother notified Merrimack police about the alleged incident, and an investigation was launched by authorities in both communities.

The child told police that Trythall was mad at him for not eating his toaster pastry, and that Trythall grabbed his left arm and said, “Eat your damn Pop-Tart,” according to court records on file at Hillsborough County Superior Court. The boy told police that it hurt when his father grabbed his arm, adding he did not feel safe at his home.

The indictments allege that Trythall “knowingly caused bodily injury to his son, by grabbing his upper arm, causing bruises,” according to court records.

A trial management conference has been scheduled for Feb. 23, with jury selection slated for March 5, according to court records.

Trythall has been convicted of 16 misdemeanors since 2006, according to court documents.

In December of 2016, several charges against Trythall involving an alleged attack against a woman in the Gate City were dropped. At the time, the victim told police that Trythall laid on top of her during the early morning hours of July 24, 2016, choked her, sexually assaulted her and stole her cellphone before smashing it with a hammer, states court records. Trythall maintained that the victim wanted to engage in sexual activity with him that night, according to court documents.

khoughton@newstote.com


Courts Crime Nashua


More Headlines