All Sections

Home | Crime

Lee man charged with shooting son in neck is free on bail

Union Leader Correspondent

January 22. 2018 8:14PM
Mark Chilcott arrived at Strafford County Superior Court in handcuffs and shackles Monday. (KIMBERLEY HAAS/Correspondent)

DOVER — A Lee man accused of shooting his son in the neck during a domestic violence incident early Saturday morning is free on $50,000 personal recognizance bail following an arraignment Monday afternoon at Strafford County Superior Court.

Mark Chilcott, 57, is charged with first-degree assault and reckless conduct involving a firearm.

A .45 caliber black Smith & Wesson Shield handgun was seized from Chilcott’s home after his arrest.

Authorities were alerted to the situation when Chilcott’s 21-year-old son, Trevor Chilcott, arrived at the Lee Public Safety Building at about 1:41 a.m. A responding officer found him on the ground in front of the lobby doors.

The officer observed that Trevor Chilcott was not wearing a shirt and his chest, face and the left side of his neck were covered in blood. Trevor Chilcott told the officer he ran to the police station after being shot by his father.

Trevor Chilcott was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital and is listed in stable condition.

According to an affidavit, after Mark Chilcott was arrested, the handgun was found on an island countertop in his kitchen. It was unloaded and the magazine with live rounds had been removed.

Blood was found on the door knob of the interior door leading from the garage into the kitchen, blood smears could be seen on or around the front door and a pool of blood measuring about 12 inches by 6 inches was discovered on a hallway floor.

Mark Chilcott made a written statement at the police department. He claimed he woke up to find his son barricaded in a bedroom and his wife, Gillian Coombs, yelling through the door to get her phone back. Trevor Chilcott opened the bedroom door and threw the phone at his mother, Mark Chilcott wrote.

When Coombs tried to call police, Trevor Chilcott rushed out of his bedroom and dragged her down the hallway, Mark Chilcott wrote.

Trevor Chilcott retreated to the bedroom and Mark Chilcott said that is when he retrieved the handgun from a box in his bedroom closet.

When Trevor Chilcott came back out into the hallway allegedly acting aggressively, Mark Chilcott fired a “warning shot” from five feet away, he said.

At the hospital, Trevor Chilcott said he and Coombs began arguing on their way home from work at the 401 Tavern in Hampton.

According to Lee police records, Trevor Chilcott was arrested for domestic violence simple assault and criminal mischief in November and is on probation.

Mark Chilcott’s attorney made note of that for Judge Mark Howard during his arraignment Monday.

“Trevor was not perfect,” Harry Starbranch said. Starbranch said Trevor Chilcott was abusive of his mother.

Prosecutor Emily Conant argued Trevor Chilcott put his hands up when he saw his father with the pistol.

“The victim held up his hands. He was unarmed and was five feet from the defendant when he was shot in the neck,” Conant said.

Howard decided to release Mark Chilcott on the conditions that he stay with his brother in Massachusetts, have no contact with his son or wife, have possession of no firearms and abstain from drinking alcohol.

Courts Crime General News Dover Lee

More Headlines

Hampton dog groomer arrested a second time

Animal Control officer guilty in groping case