All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Home | Crime

Ex-scoutmaster now charged with sexually assaulting two boys

By JAMES A. KIMBLE
Union Leader Correspondent

December 13. 2016 3:04PM
EUGENE PERREAULT 

NEWFIELDS — An ex-Scoutmaster being investigated for sexually assaulting a number of youths about two decades ago was charged in a second case on Tuesday.

Eugene Perreault, 69, of 369 Piscassic Road was charged with a count of aggravated felonious sexual assault, and freed on bail after being booked at the police station.

Police say Perreault sexually abused a scout multiple times between 1999 and 2001, when the boy was between 11 and 12.

An investigation began in October when another man reported he was sexually assaulted at 11 by his then-Scoutmaster.

"Gene Perreault was involved in Boy Scouts in New Hampshire from the late '80s up until the 2000s, so that's a pretty significant time period when he would have access to Boy Scouts," said police Lt. Michael Schwartz, the lead investigator in the case.

Defense lawyer Roger "Rusty" Chadwick said in an interview that people should not rush to judgment regarding the allegations against his client.

"We are looking forward to reviewing all of the evidence so we can respond appropriately," Chadwick said. "It's far too early to reach conclusions, especially for people who have known Gene for many, many years and the good he has done."

"Just because a headline reads one way, it's not the absolute truth," Chadwick added. Perreault was placed on leave from his job as a bus driver for Safeway Training & Transportation Services after his arrest in October. The company said earlier that Perreault passed a state police and FBI background check prior to being hired. He also worked on-call as a building inspector in Fremont and served as Newfields health code officer.

Schwartz said the latest person to tell police about being allegedly abused by Perreault wanted their information made public in hopes that it would encourage others to step forward.

He said that the Boy Scouts of America Daniel Webster Council and the New Hampshire Department of Education have been assisting investigators with piecing together a timeline in the cases.

The boy in the first case was assaulted in 1995 when he was about 11 years old after meeting Perreault through Boy Scouts, according to a police affidavit.

Police questioned Perreault about the alleged assaults reported in the latest case.

Perreault acknowledged having some sexual contact with the boy, but when pressed for specifics, he said, "I don't remember. That was 20 years ago," according to a sworn police affidavit filed by Schwartz.

Perreault has already written letters of apology to two of the alleged victims, according to the affidavit filed in 10th Circuit Court, Brentwood Division.

The affidavit said in both cases, Perreault initiated contact with the boys by giving them back rubs.

At least one of the assaults happened at Perreault's home in Newfields. In that case, Perreault allegedly showed the boy a pornographic photo of a woman on his computer before assaulting him, according to the affidavit.

The investigation is ongoing.

"We've already been contacted by other victims," Schwartz said. "We are talking to them. We want to hear from anybody with knowledge about Gene Perreault's activities of a criminal nature. We want to hear from victims and witnesses. All of them."

jkimble@newstote.com


Crime Newfields