Claremont man with lengthy criminal history, ties to prison white supremacist group, shot and killed in parking lotBy DOUG ALDEN
New Hampshire Union Leader
May 14. 2018 11:13AM
CLAREMONT — A man shot to death early Sunday in a restaurant parking lot had a long criminal history, including an arrest the day his father was fatally shot during a standoff with police in 2008.
Authorities said Jesse Jarvis, 36, of Claremont, suffered multiple gunshot wounds and died in the parking lot of the Imperial Buffet, 154 Washington St., around 12:15 a.m., according to a news release issued by New Hampshire State Police, Attorney General Gordon MacDonald and Claremont police.
“We’re still looking at all angles of not only who did this, but what the motivation was,” said Benjamin Agati, a senior assistant attorney general.
An autopsy was scheduled for today at the state Medical Examiner’s office.
Agati said Sunday afternoon that no arrests had been made in the shooting of Jarvis, who law enforcement officials identified as a founding member of a white supremacist gang that formed inside the New Hampshire prison system in late 2005.
Jarvis’ prison history — he spent more than a decade behind bars — and affiliation with the Brotherhood of White Warriors are among the leads investigators are tracking, Agati said.
“I have nothing specific to say that this event was a direct result or somehow connected with his previous activity,” Agati said.
Jarvis, known to have a swastika tattoo on his chest, was wanted on multiple arrest warrants for allegedly stealing a pair of Nazi flags from a home in Claremont in June 2008.
On July 26, 2008, a regional SWAT team went to a camper in a yard on Summer Street in Charlestown in search of Jarvis, who surrendered and was taken in to custody without incident.
Jarvis’ father, Anthony Jarvis Sr., remained inside the camper refused orders to exit.
After verbal exchanges with Anthony Jarvis Sr., police deployed an explosive device designed to throw him off guard and then entered the camper. A state trooper was wounded and Anthony Jarvis Sr. killed in the ensuing shootout.
The Attorney General’s office later ruled the shooting justified.
Jesse Jarvis pleaded guilty in 2009 to resisting arrest, giving false information to an officer and simple assault, all misdemeanor charges stemming from the previous summer. Under a negotiated plea agreement, he was sentenced to two consecutive prison terms of two to five years.
Andrew Conrad, a longtime friend who said he grew up with Jarvis in Claremont, told the New Hampshire Union Leader Sunday that Jarvis had been through some hard times, but described him as “one of the best people” he had known.
Conrad said Jarvis’ relatives were grieving and did not wish to speak with the media.
It is unclear how long Jarvis had been out of prison and what he was doing in the parking lot where he died. Imperial Buffet is closed on Sundays and, according to its website, closes at 9:30 p.m. Saturday.
Agati said the area was still crowded with people when police arrived. Investigators spoke to some witnesses Sunday and were searching for anyone else who was in the area around 11:30 p.m. Saturday.
“We’re still encouraging people to call in if they were there or if they have any information about what happened,” Agati said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the New Hampshire State Police Major Crime Unit at 603-223-4381.