Wilder-Holton House


January 03. 2014 3:49PM






Junction of

Routes 2 & 3
Lancaster, NH

Marker Number: 84
Name and date established: Lancaster 1970

Description: This structure, erected by Major Jonas Wilder, from boards planed and nails wrought on the site, originally possessing a four-fireplace chimney and Indian shutters, is Coos County's first two-story dwelling. Construction was initiated on the noted "Dark Day" of May 19, 1780, which caused work to cease temporarily. Successively a home, a tavern, a church, and a meeting place, it is now a museum.

Location: Located at the northern junction of

Routes 2 and 3. The Wilder-Holton House was listed on the National Register in 1975.

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911
Example blog post alt Roadside History: General John Stark, 1728-1822
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hannah Davis and Amos Fortune, Jaffrey's resilient business owners
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hosea Ballou (1771-1852), 'father of Universalism'