Wilder-Holton House


January 03. 2014 3:49PM






Junction of

Routes 2 & 3
Lancaster, NH

Marker Number: 84
Name and date established: Lancaster 1970

Description: This structure, erected by Major Jonas Wilder, from boards planed and nails wrought on the site, originally possessing a four-fireplace chimney and Indian shutters, is Coos County's first two-story dwelling. Construction was initiated on the noted "Dark Day" of May 19, 1780, which caused work to cease temporarily. Successively a home, a tavern, a church, and a meeting place, it is now a museum.

Location: Located at the northern junction of

Routes 2 and 3. The Wilder-Holton House was listed on the National Register in 1975.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First Ski School in America
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Kilburn Brothers Stereoscopic View Factory offered early 3D technology
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Sunset Baseball
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The Cornish Artists' Colony
Example blog post alt Roadside History: 'Captain Lovewell's War' against the Abenaki
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Potter Place in Andover was home to the first famous American-born magician