White Park


January 03. 2014 3:51PM

 







Intersection of Washington and Center Streets
Concord, NH

Marker Number: 147
Name and date established: Concord 1984

Description: One of the oldest municipal parks in New Hampshire, White Park was conveyed to the city by Armenia White in 1884, in memory of her husband Nathaniel. Mr. White, a founder of the American Express Company was a prominent businessman, legislator and philanthropist. Both Mr. and Mrs. White were active in the abolition temperance and women's suffrage movements. The park was designed by landscape architect Charles Eliot, and retains the character of his original design. This marker was erected in cooperation with the City of Concord. White Park was listed on the National Register in 1982.

Location: Located in White Park, at the intersection of Washington and Center Streets.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Thaddeus S.C. Lowe -- aeronaut, scientist and inventor (1832-1913)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major Andrew McClary, 2nd in command to Col. John Stark of the 1st N.H. Regiment
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Mast Tree Riot of 1734 -- Local lumbermen felled trees meant for the king's navy
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Levi Woodbury (1798-1851) served in all 3 US government branches and as NH governor
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon