January 03. 2014 3:55PM
Marker Number: 57
Name and date established: Claremont 1968
Description: Located easterly on Old Church Road, his wood-frame structure built in 1771 to 1773, is the oldest standing Episcopal church in the State, serving the second oldest parish. The parish began in 1768 as a mission of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. The first rector was Reverend Ranna Cossitt (1771-1785).
Location: Located on Route 12-A, the Jarvis Hill Road, about 1 mile south of its junction with Route 12 and Route 103. The Union Church was listed on the National Register in 1980.