The Two-Mile Streak


January 03. 2014 3:57PM






Route 125
Barrington, NH

Marker Number: 96
Name and date established: Barrington 1974

Description: Granted in 1719 to encourage industrial development in the province and called New Portsmouth, this two-mile wide strip of land was set aside to provide homesites for imported workers at the Lamprey Ironworks. Wood from this strip was converted to charcoal for the Ironworks. Absorbed by the 1722 Barrington Grant, the area retains its identity as the Two-Mile Streak. Descendants of early settlers still live here.

Location: Located on the east side of Route 125, 1.5 miles south of its junction with Route 9.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First settlement in Dover made at Hilton's Point in 1623
Example blog post alt Roadside History: John Sargent Pillsbury, co-founder of the Pillsbury Company (1828-1901)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General Enoch Poor served under Washington and Lafayette
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Norris Cotton, US representative and senator (1900-1989)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Thaddeus S.C. Lowe -- aeronaut, scientist and inventor (1832-1913)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major Andrew McClary, 2nd in command to Col. John Stark of the 1st N.H. Regiment