The Two-Mile Streak
Marker Number: 96
Name and date established: Barrington 1974
Description: Granted in 1719 to encourage industrial development in the province and called New Portsmouth, this two-mile wide strip of land was set aside to provide homesites for imported workers at the Lamprey Ironworks. Wood from this strip was converted to charcoal for the Ironworks. Absorbed by the 1722 Barrington Grant, the area retains its identity as the Two-Mile Streak. Descendants of early settlers still live here.
Location: Located on the east side of Route 125, 1.5 miles south of its junction with Route 9.