Town Meeting House in Greenfield


January 03. 2014 3:58PM






Junction of Route 136 and Route 31
Greenfield, NH

Marker Number: 130
Name and date established: Greenfield 1979

Description: The oldest original meeting house in New Hampshire serving both church and state. The frame, built from local timber by resident Hugh Gregg, was raised by one hundred volunteers from the village and surrounding towns on September 16, 1795. This fine old structure has served the people of Greenfield continuously since that time as a gathering place for them to worship their God, to legislate their town's civil affairs and to enjoy the good company of their neighbors.

Location: Located at the junction of Route 136 and Route 31. The Greenfield Meeting House was listed on the National Register in 1983.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Captain Josiah Crosby / Lieutenant Thompson Maxwell
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Surry Mountain 
Gold Mine and Lily Pond
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District