Town Meeting House in Greenfield


January 03. 2014 3:58PM






Junction of Route 136 and Route 31
Greenfield, NH

Marker Number: 130
Name and date established: Greenfield 1979

Description: The oldest original meeting house in New Hampshire serving both church and state. The frame, built from local timber by resident Hugh Gregg, was raised by one hundred volunteers from the village and surrounding towns on September 16, 1795. This fine old structure has served the people of Greenfield continuously since that time as a gathering place for them to worship their God, to legislate their town's civil affairs and to enjoy the good company of their neighbors.

Location: Located at the junction of Route 136 and Route 31. The Greenfield Meeting House was listed on the National Register in 1983.

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911
Example blog post alt Roadside History: General John Stark, 1728-1822
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hannah Davis and Amos Fortune, Jaffrey's resilient business owners
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hosea Ballou (1771-1852), 'father of Universalism'