Temple Glass Factory


April 25. 2011 10:47AM






Route 123
Sharon, NH

Marker Number: 12
Name and date established: Sharon 1963

Description: Was located at a secluded site in the southwest portion of Temple township. Founded in 1780 by Robert Hewes who employed Hessian mercenaries from the British Army trained in the art of glassblowing. This early attempt to manufacture bottles and crude window-glass was the beginning of glass-making in New Hampshire.

Location: Located on the east side of Route 123 in Sharon village.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Haverhill Corner Historic District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilsum Stone Arch Bridge, one of the highest in the state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The Nansen Ski Jump is the oldest continuously operating ski club in the US
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Abenaki Indians' ancient mortar lot
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Chinook Kennels
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Son of President Grover Cleveland founded NH's first summer playhouse