January 03. 2014 4:23PM
Marker Number: 15
Name and date established: Loudon 1963
Description: Take opposite road 2.6 miles to the attractive buildings of this Utopian community organized in 1792 in the township of Canterbury. The Shakers established high standards of agricultural efficiency, craftsmanship, and domestic skill for their sect and extended this worthy influence beyond the confines of the Village. Canterbury Shaker Village was listed on the National Register in 1975.
Location: Located on the east side of Route 106, about 3 miles north of its junction with Route 129 in Loudon Village. The original Canterbury Shaker Village is open for visitors nearby at 288 Shaker Road in Canterbury.