Shaker Village


January 03. 2014 4:23PM

Shaker Village - Loudon, New Hampshire 







Route 106
Loudon, NH

Marker Number: 15
Name and date established: Loudon 1963

Description: Take opposite road 2.6 miles to the attractive buildings of this Utopian community organized in 1792 in the township of Canterbury. The Shakers established high standards of agricultural efficiency, craftsmanship, and domestic skill for their sect and extended this worthy influence beyond the confines of the Village. Canterbury Shaker Village was listed on the National Register in 1975.

Location: Located on the east side of Route 106, about 3 miles north of its junction with Route 129 in Loudon Village. The original Canterbury Shaker Village is open for visitors nearby at 288 Shaker Road in Canterbury.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Soapstone in Francestown
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Washington considered the birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Joel McGregor, Last Surviving Soldier of the Revolution
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Captain Josiah Crosby / Lieutenant Thompson Maxwell
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years