January 09. 2014 3:31PM
Marker Number: 58
Name and date established: Derry 1969
Description: In April 1719, 16 Presbyterian Scotch-Irish families settled here in two rows of cabins along West Running Brook easterly of Beaver Brook. Initially known as Nutfield, the settlement became Londonderry in 1723. The first year, a field was planted known as the Common Field, where the potato was first grown in North America. This marker is located near the East Derry Historic District which was listed on the National Register in 1982.
Location: Located in East Derry Village, on the south side of East Derry Road about 1 mile east of the Derry rotary.