Scotch-Irish Settlement


January 09. 2014 3:31PM






East Derry Village
Derry, NH

Marker Number: 58
Name and date established: Derry 1969

Description: In April 1719, 16 Presbyterian Scotch-Irish families settled here in two rows of cabins along West Running Brook easterly of Beaver Brook. Initially known as Nutfield, the settlement became Londonderry in 1723. The first year, a field was planted known as the Common Field, where the potato was first grown in North America. This marker is located near the East Derry Historic District which was listed on the National Register in 1982.

Location: Located in East Derry Village, on the south side of East Derry Road about 1 mile east of the Derry rotary.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilford commemorates a Revolutionary War battle
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Republic of Indian Stream
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Zealand and James Everell Henry
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Soapstone in Francestown
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Washington considered the birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Joel McGregor, Last Surviving Soldier of the Revolution