Scotch-Irish Settlement


January 09. 2014 3:31PM






East Derry Village
Derry, NH

Marker Number: 58
Name and date established: Derry 1969

Description: In April 1719, 16 Presbyterian Scotch-Irish families settled here in two rows of cabins along West Running Brook easterly of Beaver Brook. Initially known as Nutfield, the settlement became Londonderry in 1723. The first year, a field was planted known as the Common Field, where the potato was first grown in North America. This marker is located near the East Derry Historic District which was listed on the National Register in 1982.

Location: Located in East Derry Village, on the south side of East Derry Road about 1 mile east of the Derry rotary.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General James Reed (1722-1807)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Dr. Granny Stalbird, 1755-1845, rode on horseback to visit, treat the sick
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The logging village of Wildwood
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Haverhill Corner Historic District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilsum Stone Arch Bridge, one of the highest in the state