Scotch-Irish Settlement


January 09. 2014 3:31PM






East Derry Village
Derry, NH

Marker Number: 58
Name and date established: Derry 1969

Description: In April 1719, 16 Presbyterian Scotch-Irish families settled here in two rows of cabins along West Running Brook easterly of Beaver Brook. Initially known as Nutfield, the settlement became Londonderry in 1723. The first year, a field was planted known as the Common Field, where the potato was first grown in North America. This marker is located near the East Derry Historic District which was listed on the National Register in 1982.

Location: Located in East Derry Village, on the south side of East Derry Road about 1 mile east of the Derry rotary.

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911
Example blog post alt Roadside History: General John Stark, 1728-1822
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hannah Davis and Amos Fortune, Jaffrey's resilient business owners
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hosea Ballou (1771-1852), 'father of Universalism'