The RidgeJanuary 09. 2014 3:40PM
Marker Number: 33
Name and date established: Orford 1965, 1974
Description: Orford's seven Ridge houses were built over a period of time from 1773 to 1839 by professional and business men of the town. The Bulfinch-style house of John B. Wheeler, built in 1814 to 1816, southernmost in the row, was designed by a Boston architect, probably Asher Benjamin who was then an associate of Charles Bulfinch. Other Ridge house also display Asher Benjamin influence.
Location: Located in the center of Orford on the east side of Route 10, just opposite its junction with Route 25-A. The Orford Street Historic District (which includes the seven houses of The Ridge) was listed on the National Register in 1977.