The Ridge


January 09. 2014 3:40PM

The Ridge - Orford, New Hampshire 







Route 10
Orford, NH

Marker Number: 33
Name and date established: Orford 1965, 1974

Description: Orford's seven Ridge houses were built over a period of time from 1773 to 1839 by professional and business men of the town. The Bulfinch-style house of John B. Wheeler, built in 1814 to 1816, southernmost in the row, was designed by a Boston architect, probably Asher Benjamin who was then an associate of Charles Bulfinch. Other Ridge house also display Asher Benjamin influence.

Location: Located in the center of Orford on the east side of Route 10, just opposite its junction with Route 25-A. The Orford Street Historic District (which includes the seven houses of The Ridge) was listed on the National Register in 1977.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Thaddeus S.C. Lowe -- aeronaut, scientist and inventor (1832-1913)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major Andrew McClary, 2nd in command to Col. John Stark of the 1st N.H. Regiment
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Mast Tree Riot of 1734 -- Local lumbermen felled trees meant for the king's navy
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Levi Woodbury (1798-1851) served in all 3 US government branches and as NH governor
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon