Pierce Manse


January 09. 2014 3:46PM

Pierce Manse - Concord, New Hampshire 







Corner of North State Street and Penacook Street
Concord, NH

Marker Number: 125
Name and date established: Concord 1978

Description: One tenth of a mile east of here stands the only house in Concord owned (1842 to 1848) by Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the United States. Removed to this site in 1971 from Montgomery Street, it was restored by The Pierce Brigade. Opened to the public in 1974, it is now an important tourist attraction. This marker was erected in cooperation with the City of Concord. The Pierce Manse is a part of the Concord Historic District, which was listed on the National Register in 1975.

Location: Located at the corner of North State Street (Route 3) and Penacook Street in the northern end of downtown Concord.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Thaddeus S.C. Lowe -- aeronaut, scientist and inventor (1832-1913)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major Andrew McClary, 2nd in command to Col. John Stark of the 1st N.H. Regiment
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Mast Tree Riot of 1734 -- Local lumbermen felled trees meant for the king's navy
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Levi Woodbury (1798-1851) served in all 3 US government branches and as NH governor
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon