Pierce Manse


January 09. 2014 3:46PM

Pierce Manse - Concord, New Hampshire 







Corner of North State Street and Penacook Street
Concord, NH

Marker Number: 125
Name and date established: Concord 1978

Description: One tenth of a mile east of here stands the only house in Concord owned (1842 to 1848) by Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the United States. Removed to this site in 1971 from Montgomery Street, it was restored by The Pierce Brigade. Opened to the public in 1974, it is now an important tourist attraction. This marker was erected in cooperation with the City of Concord. The Pierce Manse is a part of the Concord Historic District, which was listed on the National Register in 1975.

Location: Located at the corner of North State Street (Route 3) and Penacook Street in the northern end of downtown Concord.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Surry Mountain 
Gold Mine and Lily Pond
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General James Reed (1722-1807)