Old Province Road


April 25. 2011 11:19AM






Route 103
Gilmanton, NH Marker Number: 17

Name and date established: Gilmanton 1963

Description: One of the earliest highways in New Hampshire, it was authorized in 1765 as a supply Route from the tidewater port of Durham to the colony's northern settlements in the Coos. This section of the road through Gilmanton was built in 1770, nine years after the township was settled.

Location: Located on the east side of Route 103 about 4 miles south of its junction with Route 140.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Captain Josiah Crosby / Lieutenant Thompson Maxwell
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bound Rock in Hampton is one of the oldest boundary markers in U.S.
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Exeter served as NH's capital for 14 years
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Surry Mountain 
Gold Mine and Lily Pond
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District