Old Province Road


April 25. 2011 11:19AM






Route 103
Gilmanton, NH Marker Number: 17

Name and date established: Gilmanton 1963

Description: One of the earliest highways in New Hampshire, it was authorized in 1765 as a supply Route from the tidewater port of Durham to the colony's northern settlements in the Coos. This section of the road through Gilmanton was built in 1770, nine years after the township was settled.

Location: Located on the east side of Route 103 about 4 miles south of its junction with Route 140.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major Andrew McClary, 2nd in command to Col. John Stark of the 1st N.H. Regiment
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Mast Tree Riot of 1734 -- Local lumbermen felled trees meant for the king's navy
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Levi Woodbury (1798-1851) served in all 3 US government branches and as NH governor
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911