Old Province Road


April 25. 2011 11:19AM






Route 103
Gilmanton, NH Marker Number: 17

Name and date established: Gilmanton 1963

Description: One of the earliest highways in New Hampshire, it was authorized in 1765 as a supply Route from the tidewater port of Durham to the colony's northern settlements in the Coos. This section of the road through Gilmanton was built in 1770, nine years after the township was settled.

Location: Located on the east side of Route 103 about 4 miles south of its junction with Route 140.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First 'normal school' in New Hampshire
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Cornish-Windsor Bridge -- The longest covered bridge in the US until 2008
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Sarah Josepha Buell Hale, author of 'Mary had a little lamb' (1788-1879)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Keene Glass Industry and Stoddard Glass products from 1800s highly prized today
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First settlement in Dover made at Hilton's Point in 1623
Example blog post alt Roadside History: John Sargent Pillsbury, co-founder of the Pillsbury Company (1828-1901)