Old Landing RoadJanuary 09. 2014 3:53PM
Marker Number: 119
Name and date established: Hampton 1978
Description: This was the roadway from the ancient landing on Hampton River taken on October 14, 1638, by Rev. Stephen Bachiler and his small band of followers, when they made the first settlement of Hampton, originally named Winnacunnet Plantation. For the next 160 years this area was the center of the town's activity. During that period and into the town's third century, Landing Road provided access for fishing, salt-marsh haying, mercantile importing and exporting, and transportation needs of a prospering community.
Location: Located east of Route 1, at the corner of Park Avenue and Landing Road, near Winnacunnet High School.