Old Landing Road


January 09. 2014 3:53PM






Corner of Park Avenue and Landing Road
Hampton, NH

Marker Number: 119
Name and date established: Hampton 1978

Description: This was the roadway from the ancient landing on Hampton River taken on October 14, 1638, by Rev. Stephen Bachiler and his small band of followers, when they made the first settlement of Hampton, originally named Winnacunnet Plantation. For the next 160 years this area was the center of the town's activity. During that period and into the town's third century, Landing Road provided access for fishing, salt-marsh haying, mercantile importing and exporting, and transportation needs of a prospering community.

Location: Located east of Route 1, at the corner of Park Avenue and Landing Road, near Winnacunnet High School.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General James Reed (1722-1807)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Dr. Granny Stalbird, 1755-1845, rode on horseback to visit, treat the sick
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The logging village of Wildwood
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Haverhill Corner Historic District