NH Canal System

January 10. 2014 2:16PM

Merrimack Street
Hooksett, NH

Marker Number: 132
Name and date established: Hooksett 1979

Description: Before the railroads came through New Hampshire, a flourishing canal system skirted the many falls on the Merrimack River. From the landing station at Boscawen to the point where the waterway entered the Middlesex Canal in Massachusetts there was great activity terminated by the coming of the rails. Remains of locks, towpaths, loading stations, hydraulic apparatus, and masonry walls may be yet seen at a number of locations. From Boscawen to the state line, a series of falls known as Sewalls, Turkey, Garvins, Hookset, Amoskeag, Merrills, Griffins, Goffes, Coos, Moores and Cromwells were bypassed. Remnants of a branch canal at Head's Brickyard are among the most nearly intact in this state.

Location: Located on Merrimack Street (off the Route 3/Route 3-A connector) at the A.J. Lambert Town Park in Hookesett Village.
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: 'Captain Lovewell's War' against the Abenaki
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Potter Place in Andover was home to the first famous American-born magician
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Winston Churchill - no, not that Churchill
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Bear Brook was the last active CCC camp in NH (1935-1942)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Camp Stark, NH's WWII German POW camp, housed about 250 soldiers
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Metallak, 'The lone Indian of the Magalloway'