Newington


January 10. 2014 2:17PM

Newington, New Hampshire 







Route 16
Newington, NH

Marker Number: 151
Name and date established: Newington 1985

Description: Boundary disputes among the early river settlers caused this area to be called Bloody Point. By 1640, Trickey's Ferry operated between Bloody Point and Hilton's Point in Dover. In 1712 the meetinghouse was erected and the parish set off, named Newington for the English village, whose residents sent the bell for the meetinghouse. About 1725, the parsonage was built near the town forest, considered one of the oldest in America.

Location: Located at the east end of the Sullivan Bridge, at the base of the ramp off Exit 4 off the northbound Spaulding Turnpike, Route 16. The Newington Center Historic District, located about 1 mile south of the marker, was listed on the National Register in 1987.

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911
Example blog post alt Roadside History: General John Stark, 1728-1822
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hannah Davis and Amos Fortune, Jaffrey's resilient business owners
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hosea Ballou (1771-1852), 'father of Universalism'