Meeting House and Hearse House


January 10. 2014 2:36PM






Route 107
Fremont, NH

Marker Number: 167
Name and date established: Fremont 1991

Description: Built in 1800, this steepleless structure, originally unheated, was used for both town and church meetings. This and a similar building in Rockingham, Vt., are the only two survivors of some 70 meeting houses with twin end "porches" (stairwells) built in New England in the 1700's. The building retains box pews (once privately owned) and a high pulpit. "Singing seats" in the gallery reflect the introduction of choral music in the late 1700s. The nearby Hearse House (1849) marks a transistion in local funerals from a hand-carried bier to a horse-drawn vehicle.

Location: Located on Route 107 in Freemont, NH
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: First 'normal school' in New Hampshire
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Cornish-Windsor Bridge -- The longest covered bridge in the US until 2008
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Sarah Josepha Buell Hale, author of 'Mary had a little lamb' (1788-1879)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Keene Glass Industry and Stoddard Glass products from 1800s highly prized today
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First settlement in Dover made at Hilton's Point in 1623
Example blog post alt Roadside History: John Sargent Pillsbury, co-founder of the Pillsbury Company (1828-1901)