Londonderry Town Pound


January 10. 2014 2:54PM






Route 28
Londonderry, NH

Marker Number: 166
Name and date established: Londonderry 1991

Description: Stray farm animals were confined here by elected pounders or reeves until ransomed by their owners. In 1730, David Dickey kept the first pound in the West Parish. When the current boundaries of Londonderry were established in 1836, David Gilcreast supplied both land and materials and constructed this pound in a 'workmanlike manner,' tapering from base to top. This pound faces the Mammoth Road, built in 1831, and has its back to the intersection of the Old Stage Road.

Location: located on the east side of Mammoth Road (Route 28) in Londonderry, NH
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Camp Stark, NH's WWII German POW camp, housed about 250 soldiers
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Metallak, 'The lone Indian of the Magalloway'
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hindale’s Auto Pioneer
Example blog post alt Roadside History: George Washington's Visit
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First 'normal school' in New Hampshire
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Cornish-Windsor Bridge -- The longest covered bridge in the US until 2008