Londonderry Town Pound
January 10. 2014 2:54PM
Marker Number: 166
Name and date established: Londonderry 1991
Description: Stray farm animals were confined here by elected pounders or reeves until ransomed by their owners. In 1730, David Dickey kept the first pound in the West Parish. When the current boundaries of Londonderry were established in 1836, David Gilcreast supplied both land and materials and constructed this pound in a 'workmanlike manner,' tapering from base to top. This pound faces the Mammoth Road, built in 1831, and has its back to the intersection of the Old Stage Road.
Location: located on the east side of Mammoth Road (Route 28) in Londonderry, NH