Lochmere Archeological District


January 10. 2014 2:55PM






Silver Lake Road
Belmont, NH

Marker Number: 149
Name and date established: Belmont 1984

Description: The history of Lochmere, in the broadest sense, is the history of human use of the Winnipesaukee River. Navigable by canoe, the river served as a major transportation and communications Route and, with falls and rapids, it has served as a source of food and water power. Thirteen archeological sites record nine millenia of prehistory by Native Americans, and 18 sites relate directly to the domestic and industrial life of early mill owners and the early industrial period of the village of Lochmere. The Lochmere Archeological District was listed on the National Register in 1982.

Location: The Lochmere Archeological District straddles the Winnipesaukee River (which is also the Tilton-Belmont town line) between Winnisquam Lake and Silver Lake. The marker is located about 1 mile east of Route 23, on Silver Lake Road near the Lochmere Dam.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Greenfield Town Meeting House is oldest NH meeting house serving church and state
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Belmont's Lochmere Archaeological District
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Brigadier General James Reed (1722-1807)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Dr. Granny Stalbird, 1755-1845, rode on horseback to visit, treat the sick
Example blog post alt Roadside History: The logging village of Wildwood
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Haverhill Corner Historic District