John Goffe


January 20. 2014 2:20PM






Route 3
Bedford, NH

Marker Number: 102
Name and date established: Bedford 1975

Description: This is considered the site of Squire John Goffe's log homestead on Bowman's Brook. John Goffe's Mill, now part of the motel complex across the road, was built in 1744 by his grandson, Major John, rebuilt in 1834 by his great grandson, Theodore, following a fire, and again in 1939 by another descendant, Dr. George Woodbury. Prominent in Bedford history, the family name was given to neighboring Goffstown and Goffe's Falls. Four generations of Goffes, with their wives, rest side by side in Bedford's Old Burying Ground. Other descendants rest in the Bedford Center Cemetery.

Location: Located on Route 3 about .2 miles north of its junction with Route 101.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Only 1 of Weare's 22 Piscataquog River Mills remains
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hawke Meeting House
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Wentworth Cheswill (1746-1817), 'New Hampshire's first historian'
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilford commemorates a Revolutionary War battle
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Republic of Indian Stream
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Zealand and James Everell Henry