John Brown Family - Gunsmiths


January 20. 2014 2:19PM






Route 107
Fremont, NH

Marker Number: 156
Name and date established: Fremont 1988

Description: Around 1845, John Brown of Poplin, now Fremont, built this gun shop, and with sons Andrew and Freeman spend 62 years producing fine target and hunting rifles, shotguns, and pistols. During the Civil War these prominent gunsmiths made firearms for the U.S. government, and in 1861 their gun shop served as a recruiting office for enlisting Union sharpshooters.

Location: Located on the north side of Route 107, three buildings west of the Fremont United Methodist Church.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Camp Stark, NH's WWII German POW camp, housed about 250 soldiers
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Metallak, 'The lone Indian of the Magalloway'
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hindale’s Auto Pioneer
Example blog post alt Roadside History: George Washington's Visit
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First 'normal school' in New Hampshire
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Cornish-Windsor Bridge -- The longest covered bridge in the US until 2008