John Brown Family - Gunsmiths
Marker Number: 156
Name and date established: Fremont 1988
Description: Around 1845, John Brown of Poplin, now Fremont, built this gun shop, and with sons Andrew and Freeman spend 62 years producing fine target and hunting rifles, shotguns, and pistols. During the Civil War these prominent gunsmiths made firearms for the U.S. government, and in 1861 their gun shop served as a recruiting office for enlisting Union sharpshooters.
Location: Located on the north side of Route 107, three buildings west of the Fremont United Methodist Church.