Indian Mortar Lot


January 20. 2014 2:12PM






Corner of Central and Dearborn Streets
Franklin, NH

Marker Number: 129
Name and date established: Franklin 1979

Description: The large mortar found here is in a boulder of glacial origin first hollowed out by water, then by many years of apparent use of Abnaki Indians, and later by the first settlers for grinding corn or maize which was made into cakes and baked over open fire. Also located in this historic lot is a boulder on which a shad is carved, perhaps by the red man to preserve a likeness of his favorite fish, which swam up the Winnipesaukee River when the shadbush blossomed. After the dams were built, the fish disappeared.

Location: Located at the northwest corner of Central Street (Routes 3 and 11) and Dearborn Street. This marker was erected in cooperation with the City of Franklin.
FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Home of Salmon Chase, who vied with Lincoln for Republican presidential nomination
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Only 1 of Weare's 22 Piscataquog River Mills remains
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hawke Meeting House
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Wentworth Cheswill (1746-1817), 'New Hampshire's first historian'
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Gilford commemorates a Revolutionary War battle
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Republic of Indian Stream