Hinsdale's Auto Pioneer
Marker Number: 112
Name and date established: Hinsdale 1976
Description: In the Holman and Merriman Machine Shop opposite this location, George A. Long of Northfield (Mass.) in 1875 built a steam-propelled four wheel automobile with a fifth wheel for steering. This vehicle, fired by hardwood charcoal, had a bicycle-type frame, ordinary wooden wheels, solid rear axle and could maintain 30 miles per hour, roads permitting. This early inventor patented and built another automobile, propelled by gasoline, now in the Smithsonian Institution.
Location: Located on the edge of a parking lot on the south side of Route 119, about .2 mile east of its junction with northbound Route 63.