Hinsdale's Auto Pioneer


January 20. 2014 2:06PM






Route 119
Hinsdale, NH

Marker Number: 112
Name and date established: Hinsdale 1976

Description: In the Holman and Merriman Machine Shop opposite this location, George A. Long of Northfield (Mass.) in 1875 built a steam-propelled four wheel automobile with a fifth wheel for steering. This vehicle, fired by hardwood charcoal, had a bicycle-type frame, ordinary wooden wheels, solid rear axle and could maintain 30 miles per hour, roads permitting. This early inventor patented and built another automobile, propelled by gasoline, now in the Smithsonian Institution.

Location: Located on the edge of a parking lot on the south side of Route 119, about .2 mile east of its junction with northbound Route 63.

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Major John Simpson, most remembered for something he may not have done
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Molly Stark House and Home of the Molly Stark Cannon
Example blog post alt The Weeks Act 1911
Example blog post alt Roadside History: General John Stark, 1728-1822
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hannah Davis and Amos Fortune, Jaffrey's resilient business owners
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hosea Ballou (1771-1852), 'father of Universalism'