Gilford Commemorating a Revolutionary War Battle
Marker Number: 118
Name and date established: Gilford 1977
Description: Gilford, the center of which is opposite this location, is the only New Hampshire town named for a Revolutionary War battle, the 1781 Battle of Guilford Court House in North Carolina. After the war, Lt. Lemuel B. Mason, a New Hampshire officer who served in that battle, retired to Gilmanton. In 1812, when the town was divided, as its oldest and most famous citizen, he was accorded the honor of choosing a name for the new town.
Location: Located on Route 11-A near the fire station in Gilford Village.