Gilford Commemorating a Revolutionary War Battle


May 23. 2013 4:15PM






Route 11-A
Gilford, NH

Marker Number: 118
Name and date established: Gilford 1977

Description: Gilford, the center of which is opposite this location, is the only New Hampshire town named for a Revolutionary War battle, the 1781 Battle of Guilford Court House in North Carolina. After the war, Lt. Lemuel B. Mason, a New Hampshire officer who served in that battle, retired to Gilmanton. In 1812, when the town was divided, as its oldest and most famous citizen, he was accorded the honor of choosing a name for the new town.

Location: Located on Route 11-A near the fire station in Gilford Village.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: Camp Stark, NH's WWII German POW camp, housed about 250 soldiers
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Metallak, 'The lone Indian of the Magalloway'
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Hindale’s Auto Pioneer
Example blog post alt Roadside History: George Washington's Visit
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First 'normal school' in New Hampshire
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Cornish-Windsor Bridge -- The longest covered bridge in the US until 2008