Fort at No. 4 Living History Museum


May 23. 2013 4:13PM

Fort at No. 4 Living History Museum - Charlestown, NH 







Route 11
267 Springfield Road
Charlestown, NH 03603
Toll free: 888-367-8284

Marker Number: 2
Name and date established: Charlestown 1958

Description: In 1744 the settlers at No.4 (now Charlestown) built a great log fort enclosing many of the town's dwellings. The fort, northernmost in the Connecticut Valley, was besieged in 1747 by a large force of French and Indians who were beaten off by the 31-man garrison in a 3-day battle. The fort was never again attacked.

Location: Located on the west side of Route 12, midway between the business and residential sections of Charlestown. This marker stands within boundaries of the Charlestown Main Street Historic District which was listed on the National Register in 1987.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

Historical Markers

Example blog post alt Roadside History: George Washington's Visit
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First 'normal school' in New Hampshire
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Cornish-Windsor Bridge -- The longest covered bridge in the US until 2008
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Sarah Josepha Buell Hale, author of 'Mary had a little lamb' (1788-1879)
Example blog post alt Roadside History: Keene Glass Industry and Stoddard Glass products from 1800s highly prized today
Example blog post alt Roadside History: First settlement in Dover made at Hilton's Point in 1623